If you can’t put your boat inside or trailer it out of harms way, and your only choice is to tie your boat outside at your dock or in a local harbor – here are some tips to best secure your boat against Hurricane Irma.
￼￼A sample storm arrangement: note the spring lines, which were the longest lines, are now the shortest. Stern lines are extended one or two slips away. Additional bow lines lead across to the next dock or to storm anchors placed out from the slip.
On a face dock,
position the boat farther (the farther, the better) than usual from the dock and add offshore lines to hold the boat away from the dock. Offshore lines can lead to distant pilings or trees, such as across a canal, or to anchors if the bottom provides adequate holding.
Anchor your boat in a protected harbor where the bottom can allow a good anchor hold. An advantage to anchoring is that the boat can more easily respond to wind and water changes without striking docks or other boats than when moored. Heavy and extra anchors are needed for this option and enough line should be on hand to allow a scope of at least 10:1 for each anchor.
Hurricane Holes are ideal locations to moor your boat during a tropical storms, high winds and even hurricanes. These deep, narrow coves or inlets are best when surrounded by sturdy trees which block the wind and provide a tie-off for anchor lines. A hurricane hole needs to be far enough inland to avoid the most severe winds and tides.
Good luck and be safe!
1. A Come-on-board boat handle. Santa is older and wiser and knows it’s no easy task getting in and out of his ride – especially when carrying a bag on board. Now you too can get on and off your boat safely with this stainless steel “Come-on-board-handle” – with a large finger-grip contoured surface. This two-piece handle quickly slides into a backing plate inserted into a standard rod holder, or the receiver base is ideal for gunnel or transom platform mounting. This clever two-piece handle has a bag for quick and easy storage. Click this link: Come-on-board handle for more information.
2. Santa has many close calls with chimneys when delivering presents. How does he keep his sleigh from getting scratched and dented? He uses Taco Marine’s rub rail of course! He also added Taco Marine LED navigation lights that mount right into the rub rail. Now he has Port and Starboard lights with a range of 2 miles. And because Taco Marine is the largest producer of rub rail to boat builders, Santa recommends that you click here for a Free Rub Rail Replacement Guide. It helps you find the original installed in your boat, what to buy and select from many types, styles and colors of rub rail. A Taco Marine rub rail kit makes an easy gift to put under the tree.
3. Multi-purpose 15 degree portable cleat. Santa needs to make sure his ride is secure on roof tops, so he uses Taco Marine’s clever portable cleat. What about you – ever need a cleat or a boat fender in a different place? This brushed aluminum portable cleat fits into a standard rod holder and easily moves around to where you need it. The loop-hole design allows fenders to hang over the side, and is ideal for hanging your hose while washing your boat.
Need a to make a Wish List? Check out our other new boating products at TacoMarine.com.
Here are 3 handy new products you just may want to have before you head out for the summer boating season.
1. Come-on-board boat handle. Get on and off your boat safely with this stainless steel “Come-on-board-handle” – with a large finger-grip contoured surface. This two-piece handle slides into a backing plate inserted into a standard rod holder, or the receiver base is ideal for gunnel or transom platform mounting. This clever two-piece handle has a bag for quick and easy storage. Click the photos for more information.
2. Shore to Boat Power Cable Holder. This is a safe and convenient way to hold the power cable from the dock to the boat. The large ring accommodates 30, 50 and 100 AMP shore power cables, fits into standard rod holders and has an adjustable height clamp-on ring that slides up and down to compensate for low or high tides. Includes storage bag.
3. Multi-purpose 15 degree portable cleat. Ever needed a cleat or a boat fender in a different place? This brushed aluminum portable cleat fits into a standard rod holder and easily moves around to where you need it. The loop-hole design allows fenders to hang over the side, and is ideal for hanging your hose while washing your boat. This product also includes a handy storage bag. Check out our other new boating products at TacoMarine.com.
Reel in one of these Taco Marine products for Father’s Day and it could be the-catch-of-the-day:
Quick Release Fender Lock: For dockside safety and convenience, Taco Marine’s fender lock clips secure and quickly store fender lines at the best length. Just simply insert the pin into the fitting to protect your boat with the fenders in their ideal position.
The adjustable poly Filet Table: This clever adjustable table swivels around and locks in the angle you need. It also has slots for a filet knife and fishing pliers. This high-strength table will not crack, mildew, discolor, or absorb fish odors – plus it’s easy to clean. It’s designed for extreme durability and is UV resistant. (It can also be used as a handy table for food and drinks).
Universal Leaning Post Back Rest: This Universal Leaning Post Back Rest is designed to fit all Taco Marine Neptune brand leaning posts as well as most standard leaning posts available in the market. The arms fold for easy and convenient storage.
Rub Rail Kit with Flex Chrome Insert: Taco Marine’s semi-rigid rub rail kit with flex chrome is both rigid and flexible. This great looking shiny rub rail, is one continuous piece and bends easily for quick installation. This kit includes rub rail, flex chrome insert, end caps, screws and installation guide.
Where to buy these great Father’s Day gifts? Click here and type in your zip code for stores near you.
Tying up to the dock and looking for something quick and easy to help you? You only need one hand with Taco Marine’s quick release fender clip and locking device – it ensures that lines remain at the optimum length for your fenders. When this clever fender clip and mounting pin is attached to your line, you simply insert the pin into the fitting and your boat is protected with your fenders at their ideal position. When you are ready to leave the dock, simply press the large stainless steel button, it releases the pin and away you go.
To view the fender lock device in a 360 degree view, click here.
For additional product information click here: Fender Lock