The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and Boating Writers International (BWI) announced the winner of the 2016 Miami International Boat Show Innovation Award for Fishing Equipment, Gear & Tackle: Taco Marine’s Carbon Fiber Outrigger Poles.
The awards recognize exceptionally innovative new consumer marine products, and this year’s judges evaluated 77 products and selected 17 winners in 16 categories.
Taco Marine’s new innovative design for carbon fiber outrigger poles is much stronger and lighter than any aluminum pole on the market today. These outrigger poles can pull dredges of ballyhoo, mullet or squids through the water at high speeds – difficult to do with aluminum poles. The innovative swivel roller design mechanism pulls the bait into a more natural swimming action. What’s more, it’s easy to rig, telescopes to less than 8 feet and includes a nylon mesh carry bag to protect the poles. For more information about these award-winning poles click Carbon Fiber Poles.
The Innovation Awards judging committee is composed of BWI members who do product testing throughout the year and have specific expertise in marine products and equipment. The committee is co-chaired by Zuzana Prochazka and Alan Wendt. Prochazka is a boating and travel journalist and photographer who has been in the marine industry for two decades. She regularly writes for a dozen magazines including SEA, SAIL, Bluewater Sailing and Southern Boating. Wendt is president of Boating Writers International and has served as a judge for more than 15 years. The other esteemed Innovation Award judges are:
- Frank Lanier: An author and award-winning journalist, his articles on seamanship, marine equipment reviews and vessel maintenance appear regularly in numerous marine publications worldwide.
- Marilyn Mower: Past editor of ShowBoats International, Southern Boating and the Marine Business Journal magazines and currents Books Editor for Boat International Media producing annual editions ofThe Superyachts, Megayachts: Concept, Design, Construction and Refit.
- Lenny Rudow: Senior Editor for Dominion Marine Media and Electronics Editor for BoatUS Magazine, and Boating Editor for Texas Fish & Game.
- Lawrence Husick: Patent attorney, entrepreneur, freelance writer for several boating publications, and life-long cruising sailor. He has worked with innovators in the marine industry as both counsel and consultant, and frequently speaks to audiences about new technologies afloat.
- Nigel Calder: Well-known industry author and Technical Editor or an Associate Editor of PassageMaker, Professional Boatbuilder, Sail, Ocean Navigator and Yachting Monthly magazines and a freelance consultant on marine energy issues.
- Gary Reich: Editor at large for Chesapeake Bay Magazine and regularly published in periodicals such asSoundings, PassageMaker, Chesapeake Bay, and Lakeland Boating magazines, and online at boats.com and boattrader.com.